Monday, January 19, 2009

Introducing... DJ Haamphist!

We're lucky to have minutes streaming our way from across the ocean! DJ Haamphist, coming to you from the Estados Unidos, doing some interesting experimentation with Reason. Here's a minute from him, followed by a little introductory message. You can check him out at http://www.beamychron.com/djhaam/ if you like...

DJ Haamphist: 012







'Twas right around Christmas with ham in my mouth - DJ spinning nothing, not even house. Behold! Propellerhead's Reason came unto me, a digital Jesus, from the privates of my virgin computer. And I drove to Guitar Center and purchased a floor model M-Audio MIDI controller with a plastic knob missing for well below retail. And it was good.

I returned home, excited but also afeared that I would quickly loose interest and settle into my natural state on the couch, PS3 controller in hand, the Reason gathering dust along with my other hobby gear. So my buddy's wife challenged me to a musical duel! We would meet at high noon on Valentine's Day to feud it out with our jams. Pride would fuel me or whatever! Well, turns out I can play video games and make bad music at the same time.

So unawares of The Daily Minute project I embarked on my own semi-daily project and dj haamphist was born, swaddled in the endless possibilities of Reason, with no idea what I was doing. Now a few weeks later, I have several sketches to share. Each just a quick study of a piece of the software. If a 'song' ends abruptly it's because I didn't yet know how to end the audio export function. Or how to work the Transport thing. Not that knowing that makes much difference in my case. And if it sounds like I might not be able to play the piano, that's because I can't. Or any instrument. But maybe something will come out that we can all enjoy. And maybe my beats will fucking demolish my buddy's wife at our Valentine's Day Battle Royale! oooooOOOOOOOO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dj haamphish is the jam, yo!