Friday, February 27, 2009

JKT055 - "... ... ..."



All music is an attempt at communication, isn't it? At least in the strict sense, it is the transmission of data from instrument to ear. And it seems to me that almost all of the time, this is accompanied by some purpose, some goal of imparting either a feeling or idea to the listener.

I thought it would be interesting to create a minute that somehow does not do this, does not represent me as creator trying to communicate with the listener.

At first I thought I would try to make a minute that would resemble an undending wall, an insurmountable obstacle between me and the listener. This is what resulted:

JeffMinute055: "... ... ..."







This is essentially a self-defeating enterprise, insofar as that if I truly wanted to communicate nothing via this minute I would be precluded from making these notes to accompany it. But please, try to listen to this minute all the way through on its own, and try to divorce yourself from the knowledge of my intentions. What does it sound like to you? Does it make you think of anything?

More on this later.

(photo a screencap from the Charles & Ray Eames film "Communications Primer", viewable at the internet archive)

2 comments:

Azo said...

hmmm! Interesting thought! "an attempt of communication" Hmmmf. Why not an attempt of organisation?
Painting is an organisation of the light. Music is an organisation of the noise. Both must be intelligible to make sense. Then communication is established. Your music works well under both paradigms, congratulations!!

Iwan Albatros said...

A very well crafted noise experiment leading to an excruciating finale! I like the interactions between the left and right noises. Seems like they are having a pretty intense conversation. The two sounds could perhaps be taken to represent two animals that try to intimidate each other in a battle for dominance.

And thinking about what Azo said, it does also sounds like an abstract painting to me. I'm imagining an enormous, like really enormous black canvas in a void. a void with a floor perhaps, a white marble floor. Anyway... in sudden outbursts these erratic splotches, blobs, strokes and scratches appear in obnoxious colors on the canvas in between the vast spaces of black.