Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Fibonacci week - 5/4: Shame and embarrassment

JeffMinute015: lame and unfinished






JeffNotes:
Geez. It's already noon the next day and I haven't posted my minute from yesterday. According to the rules of the game, that means I owe Lawrence a bottle of wine. Well, so be it! There is an explanation though, however lame it may be.

See, I was working on this minute last night, and at some point I fell asleep there at the computer. My body just knocked itself out, told me it was time for unconsciousness and did what needed to be done. Then in the morning I woke up with drool on my face and that horrible panicky feeling you get when you realize that you didn't set your alarm. Had to throw on some clothes and run out the door in a rush, hence the lack of uploaded minute.

Anyway, I was planning on doing a whole lot more with this one - still am, actually. Perhaps the only benefit that I can see coming out of this is that if you're interested, it shows a bit of what the process is like when i create music - the minute's rough, unmixed, loose and messy. Usually I do a minute like writing a short story or something - blurt it all out just to get the ideas down, then edit away until a cleaner form starts to appear. Anyway, this is an unfinished minute. And even if it were finished, it would still be a huge letdown after lawrence's minute of genius yesterday. At any rate, more will follow.

Oh, and that voice at the beginning is the train conductor saying that we've arrived in Eindhoven, the city where I work. Was frantically clicking away on the laptop trying to make changes when the train was arriving this morning.

1 comment:

Iwan Albatros said...

Wow jeff, this is actually a really good minute! Dude you don't owe me no bottle o' wine. In fact i owe you a bottle of wine for this magnificent piece of music! Well done.

I love how you can hear the conductor in the beginning. It fits the music well. I think it does feel like that coming into eindhoven by train for another day of work. I can tell - i've been in the same boat!

Anyway if i had made this particular piece i would have dubbed it: sunrise on jupiter. That is the image i get from this. A dark horizon. Suddenly the first rays of light creep through. Then the sun finally emerges shedding light on this barren alien landscape. I think it's a very worthy submission and truely in the spirit of our Fibonacci week.